Monday 19 August 2013

The Finishing Line

By DEWI NURJUWITA

The NOSH journey has come to an end, and I am both elated yet sad. For one, I can now bid farewell to sleepless nights I spent working on layouts and articles. But at the same time, I have fostered close bonds with my group mates and it is unfortunate that we have to part ways.

As with every other group assignment, there were bound to be hard times and conflicts. Despite that, I am glad that the NOSH team managed to work past it and produce a magazine. At the start of this module, the idea of producing a magazine from scratch seemed a little far-fetched. What do we do? Where do we begin? None of us had a clue what lay ahead of us.

As one of the designers for the group, I felt pressurised to produce quality layouts for the magazine. It was hard at first, especially with no prior InDesign knowledge before embarking on this assignment. At times I was even on the verge of giving up. But I sucked it up and forced myself to improve on my designing skills and get the layouts done as I felt accountable for the final grade of the whole group. Without the layouts, there'll be nothing to be printed out.

I feel accomplished now that our magazine has been printed, and the satisfaction of seeing the final product is surreal. Designing the layouts wouldn't have been possible without the help of my group mates and co-designer.

Scott efficiently cut articles, even within short notice, so the designers could fit the text into the layouts. Pamela and Wei Sze helped with last minute edits and article-cutting the night before we printed our magazine, helping to ease the load of the designers. Mandy willingly followed the other writers around to take photos for their articles, even if it wasn't to her convenience. And lastly, Claudia too stayed strong and spent long nights doing her part of the layouts.

Although we all had different working styles, we managed to compromise and understand each other and worked well together. I am proud of how far we have come and the skills we have acquired from this assignment. My team mates are a bunch of talented and dedicated writers, and I look up to them.

Of course, all this would not have been possible without the guidance of our lecturers, Ms Koh and Mr Victor Seow, who are always willing to help and even go as far as sacrificing their lunch breaks for consultations. Thank you so much, we couldn't have done it without you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment